Virginia Cooperative Extension relies on volunteers to accomplish its mission. We believe that active citizen involvement in our programs makes a difference in our success. The work of volunteers at the local level helps us leverage our paid faculty and staff resources into a much greater impact for the people of Virginia.
There are many ways you can get involved with us. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact us and we will be happy to discuss available opportunities.
Extension Leadership Council
Goochland County Cooperative Extension does not determine in isolation the needs of communities, nor does it implement solutions to those needs on its own. Instead, Extension facilitates an approach to education that involves the community in the identification of their own needs and the implementation of solutions. The primary means for Extension to facilitate community involvement in Extension education is through a representative group know as the Goochland County Extension Leadership Council (ELC).
Mission of the Extension Leadership Council
To develop and implement a program plan that will direct Extension's resources toward the resolution and identified issues and concerns.
Roles and Functions of the ELC:
- Identify and prioritize issues and programs
- Design, develop and implement appropriate programming
- Assess and monitor programs and reports results to appropriate groups
- Be an advocate for Extension programming.
How to Get Involved:
Contact any of the Goochland County Extension staff at 804-556-5841.
Goochland Leadership Enterprise
Good and effective leadership is not limited to those in positions of authority, nor is it limited to any one race, culture or economic status. In order to reap the benefits of the varied backgrounds of the citizens of Goochland, the County should introduce a leadership development program. It should be a partnership between local government and various organizations throughout the county (i.e. Cooperative Extension, Chamber of Commerce, NAACP, civic organizations, citizens’ organizations, etc.). The purpose would be the following:
- Identify potential leaders throughout the County.
- Help to cultivate the leadership skills of citizens.
- Encourage potential leaders to take a more active role in the County.
- Educate participants about the opportunities and problems in Goochland.
- Bring current and potential leaders in contact to encourage discussion and debate.
- Develop a spirit of cooperation to benefit the County as a whole.